iOS and Android Audio Latency Test App
Measure the performance of any mobile device immediately with the Superpowered Mobile Audio Latency Test App for Android and iOS.
Low round-trip audio latency is a strong indicator of how well any mobile device is optimized for professional audio. Lower latency confers significant benefits to users of all sorts of apps like games, augmented hearing apps, VOIP and other interactive apps.
[For practical tips on dealing with latency, Android developers please also see Android Audio Low Latency Primer.]
(Please see Android’s 10 Millisecond Problem: The Android Audio Path Latency Explainer and the more recent Rebooting Android's 10 Millisecond Problem: Audio Latency Improvements in Android 6.0 Marshmallow for more background on the importance of low-latency audio and business ramifications.)
It only takes 1 minute to measure your mobile device. Download and run our latency measurement app.
Tap on the button below on your mobile device, do not use your computer.
and above Android 3.0
The application does not collect any personal or business data, just the device model, operating system version, audio latency, sample rate and buffer size.
iOS users: after installing the app go to the Settings app, General, Profiles & Device Management, iMect, Trust.
Notes on Latency Measurement
- The Superpowered iOS and Android Audio Latency Test App measures the theoretical lowest roundtrip audio latency possible on a device. Roundtrip latency is measured from device microphone (audio input) to device speaker (audio output). Results may therefore vary if external accessories such as a microphone or an active speaker are connected to the device.
- Digital instruments begin to feel "natural" with roundtrip audio latency under 10 milliseconds. 10 ms roundtrip audio latency is the target value for professional audio applications.
- Latest iOS models from the first iPad have slightly different built-in microphone input handling. The default audio session mode adds around 30 ms of additional latency due some feedback reduction and other pre-processing. Use the "measurement" audio session mode for minimum round-trip latency with the built-in microphone input on iOS.
- Samsung Professional Audio SDK is supported from Android 5.0 (Lollipop).
- The app follows Google's low latency audio recommendations. Some poorly built/configured Android devices may not output audio at all.
- Full source code of the application is available on GitHub, under a GPL v2 license.